January 13, 2011

Is Zero Waste realistic for your household?




Last week, I received a note from someone who labelled our lifestyle "unrealistic". Hmmm. If we are living it, doesn't it make this lifestyle realistic?

I think that comments like this, are simply generated by action paralysis that people suffer when faced with the brutal reality of our current "state of affairs".

Isn't it rather unrealistic to think that we can keep living wasteful lives?

Or maybe negative thinkers simply don't know how to get started. I hear many excuses as to why Zero Waste seems un-achievable: "I don't have bulk in my town", "I am too busy" (which really means: "I can't be bothered"), "It's too expensive" and "It's too extreme for me"... OK, I agree with the last bit. The "Zero" part of this concept sounds extreme and scary. If five years ago, I had read about a Zero Waste family, I would have probably thought: "These people are nuts, seems like a great idea, but too far out of my zone."

But is Zero Waste really achieving NO trash all? Not in my book. Zero Waste is an ATTEMPT to get as close to it as you possibly can. I did not invent that term (nor the title of this blog), it's been used for decades (since the 60's). And it's nothing unheard of in the manufacturing industry. From Automotive to Fashion, countless companies are aiming towards this goal.

Undeniably, until it becomes common practice, even our household will generate more than Zero trash.

Don't let action paralysis take over your household, waste reducing is not about dwelling on the current state of affairs, but rather finding joy and energy in our future's potential. Remembering where I was five years ago, accepting that I am not perfect and knowing that I try my best, keeps me from dwelling on the negative and helps me deal with the site of unnecessary disposable bags and cups still being dispensed at the store... Believe in the power of your smallest actions inspiring others. Living by example is the cure to sadness.

So how do you get started on your journey towards Zero Waste?
  • Get past the pre-conceptions: Read the article Zero Waste Lifestyle: Time and Money Consuming? If my household was able to work on it for the past two years, with both Scott and I involved in start-up businesses (and with very little money coming in), I believe anyone can get started. Don't have much time in your hands? Take it one room at time, one day/week/month at a time. Actively working on it, at your own pace, is what really matters. Any small change makes a big difference.
  • Get past the obvious road blocks: You do not have bulk in your town? Ask for it and start by tackling your everyday disposables. Coffee cups, grocery bags, produce bags, paper towels, trash bags, plastic baggies, single use plates and flatware, water bottles are all easily avoided with little getting used to and their use often replaced by items you already have, no matter where you live.
  • Don't get overwhelmed by the changes that you need to adopt, but rather embrace the excitement of trying out alternatives. Who knows what you might discover. It will be different for everyone. For my part, I never expected to eat healthier, save money, have more time for my family and volunteering, find more meaning in religious faith, increase my tolerance for others, learn how to forage, experiment with a multitude of crafts (paper, soap, candles, etc...), make due with the available bulk at my local grocery store, discover a fantastic and supportive community through this blog... and simplify my life! Not this bullet point though;)
  • Don't let others put you down and tell you that what you do, does not matter. You know that it does, and deep down, so do they. Just be prepared for criticism and irony. Some say our household doesn't do enough (because we are carnivores, travel to France, do not have a veggie garden, or buy toothbrushes from Australia...), others say we do too much (they call our lifestyle un-realistic, extreme or obsessive...). What I say is, we must be doing something right then ;)
  • Zero Waste is like exercising, take it easy on yourself, you'll be more likely to stick with it. If you can find yogurt in a reusable/returnable container then why make it? I tried moss for TP, but finding TP rolls wrapped in paper worked out better. I washed my hair with baking soda and vinegar, but the frizz and smell of vinaigrette were not worth it to me - when solid shampoos and bulk options are available.
  • When in doubt, always practice the obvious: REFUSE - REDUCE - REUSE - RECYCLE - ROT (next article's subject) and in order!
And most importantly, find comfort in knowing that you are not alone. Please share with us your joys and troubles...