January 23, 2015

Call it what you want: A New Years' Resolution?

CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT: A NEW YEARS’ RESOLUTION?

I am not a fan of New Years' resolutions. I know myself well enough to realize that I've never really followed through with them in the past. I find them intimidating, imposing and weighing. Plus, if I truly want to do something, I don't need to wait to turn a new year. I just do it then and there!

So, for years, I resisted the temptation to take one on and announce to my entourage that I planned on doing this or that for the rest of the year, because I knew (and they too) that there was a good chance, that I wouldn't stick to it, that I would break my word... And end up looking like a flake, as most of those that take them on, do.

I entered 2015 with no resolution at all. But I did have one aspiration: To volunteer more.

I jumped on Volunteermatch.org. With a packed, but flexible, work schedule, I looked for anything within the realm of waste - if I found something super cool, I'd find a way to fit it in. But very little choice (only 6 options) came up in my area. I could help serve a hot meal in San Francisco, but the idea of commuting by bus into the city stressed me out. I could pick up extra food and deliver it to local organizations, but I don't enjoy spending time in the car. I could become an "environmental leader" for a local chapter of The Sierra Club, but I didn't want to get on their mailing list again: It took me years of calls and letters to get my name off of it in the past.

Nothing seemed to jump out at me as something exiting that would make me leap out of bed or be worth shuffling my schedule around. What I was really hoping to find was some hands-on ("dirty") work, outside, where I yearned to be; One that does not include a lengthy presentation about waste - I have been frustrated with past engagements when the organizers give a speech while I impatiently wait to get to work... What I was really hoping to find is a litter pick up.

And so I did last week, on my own.

I packed a lunch, two reusable sand bags, a pair of gloves, and the dog's leash, and headed for one of my favorite beaches in Marin County. Being a Monday, Zizou and I were on our own, well almost...

An Elephant Seal came to encourage us

The pieces (mostly plastics) that I picked up that day were so small that it took me two hours to fill up the two bags that I had brought. 

This fine point marker was in excellent, usable condition: I gave it to a cashier this week

Once home, I separated the found bits, threw some in our old trash can, others in the recycling bin. My neighbors probably thought my family had a setback, when they saw our trashcan out on the curb for the first time in five years;)Sure, I pick up litter around town and have participated in organized cleanup events before. But this one was different. Getting some much needed solo time, breathing the fresh air, taking in some vitamin D, getting a workout (the hike back to my car, carrying the litter was 1.5 miles and included a steep ravine), walking the dog, getting the honors of the visit of a fury friend, doing good for the environment, and finding a present for my son’s upcoming birthday (LOL)…
…all at once, on my own terms: now that’s a rewarding experience. My kinda volunteering activity.

I can’t wait to go again, and I made room in my schedule to go once a month. Would that be considered a New Year’s resolution, just because I started in January and plan on continuing? Call it what you want; I call it Bliss, an activity that connects what I think, what I say and what I do.

                                            Zizou, very much enjoying the endeavor and hoping for a next time


Sure, I pick up litter around town and have participated in organized cleanup events before. But this one was different. Getting some much needed solo time, breathing the fresh air, taking in some vitamin D, getting a workout (the hike back to my car, carrying the litter was 1.5 miles and included a steep ravine), walking the dog, getting the honors of the visit of a fury friend, doing good for the environment, and finding a present for my son's upcoming birthday (LOL)...

 

From litter to gift (don’t tell Max, it’s a surprise!)


...all at at once, on my own terms: now that's a rewarding experience. My kinda volunteering activity.

I can't wait to go again, and I made room in my schedule to go once a month. Would that be considered a New Year's resolution, just because I started in January and plan on continuing? Call it what you want; I call it Bliss, an activity that connects what I think, what I say and what I do.

 

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony" - Gandhi

Did you take on a New Year's Resolution that makes you happy?

---

Traduit de l'anglais par Lauren GARGANO

Appelez ça comme vous voulez : une résolution du Nouvel An?

Je ne suis pas fan des résolutions du Nouvel An. Je me connais suffisamment  pour savoir que je ne les ai jamais vraiment suivies par le passé. Je les trouve effrayantes, contraignantes et pesantes. De plus, si je veux vraiment faire quelque chose, je n'ai pas besoin d'attendre une nouvelle année pour cela. Je le fais, sans attendre.

Ainsi, pendant des années, j'ai résisté à la tentation de prendre quelque resolution que ce soit et de l’annoncer à mon entourage sachant qu'il y avait de grandes chances, que je ne la respecterai pas... et finirai bredouille comme la plupart des personnes qui en prennent.

J'ai donc commencé 2015 sans aucune résolution, mais avec tout de meme une ambition: faire plus de bénévolat.
J'ai alors foncé sur Volunteermatch.org. Malgré un emploi du temps serré mais flexible, je cherchais tout ce qui pouvait se rapporter aux déchets- pensant que si je trouvais quelque chose de super intéressant, je trouverais un moyen de m'y consacrer. Seulement peu de choix se sont présentés à moi selon ma region (six plus exactement). J’aurais par exemple pu servir des repas chauds à San Francisco, mais l'idée de prendre le bus pour la ville me stressait. J’aurais pu récupérer de la nourriture invendue et la livrer à des organisations locales, mais je n'aime pas passer mon temps en voiture. J’aurais pu devenir une "ambassadrice environnementale" pour l’antenne locale de La Sierra Club, mais je ne voulais pas leur donner mon adresse : par le passé il m'a fallu des années d'appels et de courriers pour la faire retirer de leur liste de distribution.

Je cherchais quelque chose qui me ferait bondir hors de mon lit ou valle la peine de chambouler mon emploi du temps, mais rien de passionnant ne me sautait aux yeux. Ce que j'espérais vraiment c'était une activité me permettant de mettre la main à la pâte, sur le terrain où j'aspirais à être. Une activité qui se passe de préambule- j'ai été frustrée par mes engagements passés lorsque les organisateurs donnaient de longs discours alors que j'attendais avec impatience de me mettre au travail ... Je me suis rendue compte que ce que j'espérais réellement trouver, c'était un travail de collecte de déchets.

Je l'ai donc fait de mon propre chef la semaine dernière.
J'ai emballé un déjeuner, deux sacs en toile réutilisables, une paire de gants, et la laisse du chien, et je suis partie vers une de mes plages préférées à Marin County. C'était un lundi, Zizou et moi étions seuls, enfin presque ...

Les déchets (en plastique surtout) que j'ai ramassé ce jour-là étaient si petits qu'il m'a fallu deux heures pour remplir les deux sacs que j'avais apporté.

De retour à la maison j'ai trié les déchets trouvés, jeté certains dans notre vieille poubelle, d'autres dans la poubelle de tri. Mes voisins ont probablement pensé que ma famille et moi avions fait marche arrière quand ils ont vu notre poubelle grise sur le trottoir -pour la première fois en cinq ans;)

Bien sûr, j'ai déjà ramassé les déchets aux alentours de la ville et participé à des opérations de nettoyage organisées auparavant. Mais cette fois-ci c'était différent. Prendre un peu de temps pour soi, respirer un bol d'air frais, faire le plein de vitamine D, se dégourdir les pattes (5km l’aller retour dont un ravin escarpé), promener le chien, recevoir la visite d'un compagnon à fourrure , faire du bien à la planète, et trouver un cadeau pour le prochain anniversaire de mon fils (LOL) …
... Et c'est ca pour moi : une expérience enrichissante. Ma façon à moi de faire du bénévolat.

J'ai hâte de recommencer, et j'ai aménagé mon emploi du temps pour y aller une fois par mois.

Peut-on considérer cela comme une résolution du Nouvel An, juste parce que j'ai commencé en Janvier et que je compte bien continuer? Appelez ca comme vous le voulez, moi j'appelle ça du Bonheur, une activité qui réunit ce que je pense, ce que je dis et ce que je fais.

"Le bonheur c'est quand vos actes sont en accord avec vos paroles"- Gandhi

Avez-vous pris une résolution du Nouvel An qui vous rende heureux?

Légendes des photos: 1-Un Éléphant de mer est venu nous encourager, 2-Ce marqueur à pointe fine était en très bon état: je l'ai donné à un caissier cette semaine, 3-De la poubelle au cadeau (ne le dites pas à Max, c'est une surprise!, 4- Zizou impatient de recommencer!